JMCO – Judy’s Magic Cast On
You will need a circular knitting needle (or 2 dpn’s) for Judy’s Magic Cast-on.
- Toe-up Socks
- Tubular Cast-on
- Circular Cast-on
This cast-on is perfect for starting toe-up socks – but also expands into an easy tubular cast-on, or a small circular cast-on for items such as amigurumi.
- Hold yarn as if to do a long-tail cast-on, with tail over your forefinger, and the working yarn over your thumb.
- Hold both needles together in your right hand, with tips facing your left hand.
- Place the yarn over the top needle.
- Holding the yarn in place, bring your forefinger down, and wrap the tail yarn under both needles, around the bottom needle, and down in between the two needles. You now have two stitches on the needles.
- *Using your thumb, bring the working yarn up under both needles, around the top needle, and down in between the two needles.
- Bring your forefinger down, and wrap the working yarn down under both needles, around the bottom needle, and down in between the two needles.
- Repeat from * until you have the desired number of stitches on your needles.
The first round of JMCO is worked like this:
- Bring the tail yarn over the working yarn, and pull snugly
- Drop the tail yarn
- Knit the stitches on the first needle
- Knit the stitches on the second needle through the back loop.
Subsequent rounds can be worked in whatever stitch pattern you desire.